Mother’s day is approaching and like many of you, I’ve began thinking how on Earth I’m going to show the many mothers in my life just how much they mean to me. And of course, this Mother’s Day is extra special considering it has a completely new meaning for me. But it’s not about me….it’s about the mothers in my life who have always been there and have always supported every endeavor I’ve ventured towards. This is about them. And I truly wanted to make them something special, this year – and of course, zero waste.
All of the moms in my life LOVE tea. I don’t think I have ever seen my mother-in-law without some sort of tea cup or thermos in her hand, so what better gift than a mini tea herb garden! It saves money since they’ll be growing their own tea and sit beautifully on their patio or kitchen table for them to be reminded of their favorite child.
So what will you need?
- Container big enough for all of the plants
- Stones – enough for a layer across the bottom of the container
- Dirt to fill the container
- Herbs perfect for tea
- Lemon Balm
- Lemon Verbena
- and the list goes on!
- Add the stones to the bottom of the container – this is to ensure adequate drainage.
- Take the plants out of the plastic containers and organize them inside the container (take containers back to the greenhouse for reuse or to Lowe’s where they get recycled and reused.)
- Fill empty spots with dirt
How to make tea with your new Mini Tea Herb Garden
- Pick a few of each leaf or whatever combination you’d like and steep in a reusable tea bag or tea ball
- Or dry your leaves in the sun or in a dehydrator, crush up and steep in a reusable tea bag or tea ball