DIY Citrus Garland | Citrus garlands are such a festive and fun decoration to “string” together for the holidays. And, as a bonus, they can be made sans any waste. Their vibrant colors bring life into your home and perfectly symbolize how we should slow down during the holidays rather than speed up to the point we are crazy.
I’ve been making citrus garlands for as long as I remember. The first time I made them was with my great-grandmother who was adamant about always hanging them outside for the birds to enjoy. “We must spread holiday cheer to everyone, including the animals!”, she said. She had a big personality and a kind heart.
DIY Citrus Garland
Making the garlands are pretty simple. All you need is:
- Citrus fruit (oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, etc.)
- A serrated knife
- A silicone baking mat or recycled parchment
- Baking sheet
- Something to poke holes into the slices like a chopstick or pencil
- Twine or cotton string
- Preheat your oven to 200 F or 93 C.
- Thinly slice fruit and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 2 to 3 hours, checking periodically to see if they are fry. (Mine baked for about 2.5 hours.
- Let them cool
- Poke holes near the edge ( I used a chopstick ) and string with twine or cotton thread.
Next year, I think I’m going to add apples and pears for something a little more interesting.
For more Christmas posts, check out: