I was going to come up with some witty explanation of why you should leave if talking about the menstrual cycle grosses you out, but I’m not. It’s a part of life and I’m not apologizing for it. There are too many stigmas behind womanly processes and frankly, they shouldn’t exist. I’m tired of this hush-hush, apologetic society when it comes to us talking about our periods. So, as nicely as I mean this….get over it.
They are stressful, uncomfortable, and produce so….much….waste. Even thinking about it fills most of us with abhorrence. What if it didn’t have to be so bad? What if there was a way to make that favorite week of the month a little healthier for us and healthier for the environment at the same time? After doing some research for reusable alternatives, I quickly came across the menstrual cup. I had discovered this product before a few years ago when I was looking for alternatives to tampons for a week-long hiking trip. I assumed, with my luck, our hiking adventure would land right on that wonderful week so I needed something that would be low maintenance and zero waste. Sadly, we never ended up taking that trip and I never invested in that alternative. Well menstrual cup, we meet again. This time, I purchased one.
5 Reasons to Switch to a Menstrual Cup
It Can Stay in for up to 12 Hours!
I was pretty unsure of how the day would unfold the first time I tried one. I just knew it would end up in some sort of catastrophe. Surprisingly enough, that first day was fantastic. No leaks, no funny walking, and no discomfort. I had actually almost forgotten I was wearing it. I didn’t have to worry about changing it throughout the day like you do with tampons and pads. It was the most stress-free, first-day-of-my-period I’ve ever had. I inserted it in the morning before I went to work and cleaned it when I took my nightly shower. Unlike tampons, there’s absolutely no risk of toxic shock and can be left in for up to 12 hours.
Here’s how they work…
1. Relax – relax – relax
2. Fold the cup for easy insertion
3.Gently insert – I’m using a champagne glass as a model.
4. Once inserted, turn the cup a full 360 so that the seal is formed, then rock on with your stress-free day!
5. Relax and remove at a slight angle to release suction. This is important to prevent discomfort during removal.
Say Goodbye to Toxic Chemical Absorption
No More Stress! Yay!
- I don’t have to worry about running to the store every time I think Aunt Flow is knocking at my door.
- I don’t have to constantly run to the bathroom to change it throughout my already crazy work days.
- I don’t have to worry about leakage.
- I don’t have to worry about that dumb string sticking out which can become rather disgusting quickly and be embarrassing if you’re at the pool.
- I don’t have to worry about vaginal dryness or ulcerations.
|Source: Glad Rags|